Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Flickr Flashback

While exploring the Flickr site I was at first overwhelmed and then appalled. Overwhelmed at the vast number of photos that are available to be viewed, far more than one could view in a lifetime (if one had an actual "life" to give time to). Then, I watched a flickr slide show of Alaska, (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoodwinks1/)which, I admit, did have beautiful photos, but went on and on and ended with photos of the Orioles playing baseball (????). That's when I became edgy. I started getting flashbacks of horrible vacation slide/photo-viewings in my past. I recalled looking at a friend's photos of her trip to Ireland. She had to tell me the names of every person in each photo and I really didn't care! I wanted to say, "Just show me the castles and the Blarney Stone and let's move on." And then there are my childhood memories of Dad getting out the slide projector, the pop-up screen and turning out the lights so we could look at slides of our family vacation. Now, those are good memories for me, but I would never want to look at another family's vacation slides. So until my dad goes on Flickr and posts his photos (like that would ever happen), I probably won't visit Flickr for recreational viewing purposes.

No comments: